Monday, June 10, 2013

I'm for Marriage equality and gay rights

I debated for the longest time weather to right a post about this or not.
I was/am afraid of losing friends or people being mad.
But you know what? Sometimes you just need to stand up for what is right.
 
So here is the story:
 
A few weeks ago I was mopping an entrance to the jail. There was a huber inmate who was sitting on the bench waiting for a male officer to change him over to go back upstairs to the Huber pod.
 
He said to me, "you get stuck doing the dirty work" I said yeah I do, hehe.
I asked him what he was in jail here for. He became quiet.
I told him you don't have to tell me.
He said no. He said he's in jail because his boyfriend was 17 at the time and he was 21 when they were dating.
His bf's parents didn't like that he was gay so turned him in for having sex with a minor.
He is now a registered sex offender.
Serving 6 months in jail.
5 years probation.
 
Say what you will that isn't the point of this post.
I heard him say his "boyfriend"
after talking to him for a while I said I wish you and your boyfriend all the luck in the world.
He looked at me and said, "you are ok with that"
And I thought are you kidding me? Of course.
I told him of course, and that I wish the rest of the states would follow with allowing for marriage equality.
A tear fell down his cheek.
He said thank you.
So I let the tear roll down my cheek.
I told him you don't have to thank me.
It's what is right.
 
I'm sure if some of my fellow employees heard this they would throw a fit.
But you know what?
I don't care.
There is NOTHING wrong with being gay.
NOTHING.
I don't care if you love men or women.
I don't care what the "bible" says.
You shouldn't have to hide who you are.
You shouldn't be hated because of who you love.
Your rights shouldn't be violated.
You are human.
Love knows no gender.
You deserve to love who you choose.
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
I leave you with this beautiful video.
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
post signature

3 comments:

  1. cry every time i hear this song. lovely post K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOVE this! LOVE LOVE LOVE! what a great moment to remember. love is love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely agree, it does not matter if men love women, women love women or men love men. It really makes me angry when people are against same sex marriage or anything like that. I was surprised that it is such a huge issue in some states in America. It is really sad. And the poor guy. I feel sorry for him!
    I hope you won't lose any followers because of this. And if you will then I feel sorry for the people who stop following. Because they don't understand anything.
    Thanks for visiting my blogs! Yours is great and I'll definitely follow!

    ReplyDelete